Monday 4 February 2013

Joel Baker Q&A


Your name:
Joel Baker.

Where are you from?
Nottingham (in London that means fields and farms, but I promise we have shops and cinemas too).
  
Who else is in your band?
I do almost all my gigs with my good friend Jo, who is also who I make all my music with. He is part of a very gifted production outfit called The Confectionery. I’ve also started playing with a cellist called Patrick. He’s so talented.

How would you describe yourself?
Someone recently described me as ‘contemporary soul’. I don’t know. I’ll let you decide.

Who are your main influences musically?
Musically: Ben Howard, John Mayer, Bon Iver, Jeff Buckley, Cat Power, Miguel, the Lumineers.  Lyrically: Kanye West, Nick Brewer, Drake, J.Cole, Ed Sheeran, Kendrick Lamar

What do you hope to achieve in music?
To be recognised as a songwriter. To make one great album. To have adventures with my friends.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Kano tweeting about a video I was singing in. Lame I know, but I was GASSED.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Playing a gig to two people, forgetting all my lyrics, and the room smelt like faeces. The gig venue shall remain nameless.

If you could choose one of your songs as an advert for your music, what would it be and why?
At this current time, I would choose the Kendrick Lamar cover (on my youtube and soundcloud). But original songwriting is what I'm most passionate about, so I would point people in the direction of the one original track - 'Out Of The Two' -  on the upcoming EP, due to be released this month (February).



Where can we find out more about your music? 
Type “Joel Baker Music” into pretty much anything and you will find stuff (even Tumblr, if Tumblr is your thing, you know, reblogging teenage angst in the form of close-up coffee cups or photo-filtered Vans logos).

No comments:

Post a Comment