Friday 10 May 2013

Madness and the Film Q&A


Your names: 
Caroline Gorman and David Breeze.

Where are you from?
Caroline is from New York City and David is from London.

Name of band: 
Madness and the Film.

How would you describe yourselves?
Caroline: Well we're not really your typical four-piece indie band. We are a duo, but we have a full band sound on our EP with drums and bass. I think our story is quite unique... we met through a mutual friend when David came to New York last summer; we had planned to hang out and maybe jam a bit but we got along so well that we starting writing songs together pretty much immediately. Also David's nearly double my age and we are from different places, which comes across as quite interesting though we don’t really notice it so much.
David:  I would say we are both very much into music but come from two very different backgrounds with regard to influences, and experiences too I suppose. I feel the way we met and how the whole process came together so naturally makes me realize that we have something special. I think we are a band that has pop hooks and easily accessible music, but spend time writing lyrics that have a bit of wisdom, tragedy or depth (we hope anyway!) to appeal to a wider range of people. Our EP is very diverse and each song feels very different whilst maintaining a specific sound.  One song is very sad but catchy, another is very upbeat and another is very Folk based with huge production. We try to keep things interesting.

Who are your main influences musically?
David: I have had a huge love for Guns N Roses since I was five, Iron Maiden followed and then AC/DC. These bands taught me how to play the guitar. I think my biggest influences are Joni Mitchell, Joseph Arthur, Bright Eyes and Bob Dylan. Lyrically, I am influenced by a lot of hip-hop as I respect the way words are used so poetically. I'm constantly searching to write the perfect song like 'A Case of You'.
Caroline: To start I’m obsessed with The Beatles, and Green Day has been my favorite band since I was seven. Those two are definitely big for me, but some other influences include Tegan and Sara, Death Cab for Cutie, Florence + the Machine, Ed Sheeran, Fiona Apple and Regina Spektor. There’s nothing like hearing a song and feeling like it’s about an event in your own life; bands that evoke that visceral reaction are on the top of my list. Also, anyone who’s making different and interesting music that really grabs you both lyrically and sonically.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
David: I would just like to get our music out there to people who will listen to it and appreciate it for what it is. There are so many people making good music and getting it heard these days. I would like to know that our music was good enough to stand out.  Ultimately, I would like us to be remembered.  

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Caroline: Our Madness and the Film career hasn't been too extensive so far, so most everything has been a highlight. What I love about being in a band is that there's a cycle: writing, recording, playing live + promoting... it's all fun. And it's so much better when you get to do it all with someone else… it gets lonely being solo all the time! 

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Caroline: When David's American Visa ran out things started to look rather grim. We had all these plans for our band: photo shoot, recording in a studio, building a fan base... and in that moment it almost all disappeared. After some thought David and I agreed that we at least had to record our demos before he returned to London. The songs had so much promise and we both thought that it would be such a waste not to do anything with them. Then, even if we weren’t living in the same country, we could promote the music virally, which is what we're doing now! So it all ended up okay. I knew we would both live with regret if we never fully formed Madness and the Film.  

If you could choose just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
David: There's a track called Moonlit Shadows on our EP, which is big in production, but slowly builds.  I think it represents where we want to go. It's a perfect balance of pop hooks, big chorus and interesting lyrics we are proud of. I think it captures who we are as a band pretty well.

Where can we listen to it?
Moonlit Shadows will come out in about a month with the other songs on our EP “Scrapbook” but for now here’s our single, and the first track on Scrapbook, called “London Town”:



Where can we find out more about your music?
Official website: www.madnessandthefilm.com
iTunes COMING SOON!  

Anything else you’d like to say about your band that I forgot to ask?
If you like London Town I'm sure you'll like our full EP. But to be honest if you hate London Town, you might still like our EP because all the songs are vastly different. So stay tuned! Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter if you want to stay connected for the release of Scrapbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment