Sunday 23 June 2013

GRIM Q&A

Your name:
Laurence McDaid.

Where are you from?
Derry/Londonderry, Northern Ireland. There is no good reason for my home-town to have two names, but such is the contrary nature of humanity.

Name of band:
GRIM.

Who else is in your band?
My laptop Nigel (the most reliable drummer I’ve ever worked with...)

How would you describe yourself?
Electro-blues: Electro because of the ‘instrumentation’. Blues because, mostly, I get irritated by things other people seem to find totally acceptable; the music I write, therefore, is a sort of catharsis. It could be more obscure, but you have to make some things easy for everyone.

Who are your main influences musically?
I love Tom Waits, but he’s a sort of obvious one. Mark Lanegan, Beck, Eels. If it’s more or less rock music but with something distinguishing, I tend to love it...

What do you hope to achieve in music?
Well, I’m an angst-ridden white European man; so the old cliché would suggest I’ll never achieve my subconscious goal of my father’s approval... If I could influence one person or band enough to make music, though, I’d be happy.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
I got this gig opening for the Neil Cowley Trio, a fantastic Jazz piano trio. The audience were amazingly open considering the musical differences. The highlight, though, was this Scottish guy in the audience with the loudest laugh I’ve ever heard the chuckled uproariously at all my self-deprecations between songs.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Failure can be more useful than success, and it’s definitely harder to forget. Forgetting my own ego-driven arrogance might be a step in the right direction, though.

If you could choose just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
‘Little Fizz’ is kind of a fan favourite; I suppose it determined the direction I was going in. I’d always been an advocate of the song written in twenty minutes, but hadn’t really followed my own advice up until that one.

Where can we listen to it?



Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say about your band that I forgot to ask?
People have this mental block about music that’s depressing, but I find even the music people ‘dance’ to of a weekend has depressing lyrical content about heart-break, or rejection. People connect with music because of a human need to empathise and relate to their peers. GRIM is my attempt to do that my way. EP coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment