Friday 14 June 2013

Shan Q&A

Your name:
Shan. 

Where are you from?
I was born in Shrewsbury, Shropshire but now I live in London.

Who else is in your band?
No one else, apart from a live band....

How would you describe yourself?
I am an alternative-folk, singer/songwriter.

Who are your main influences musically?
At the age of 17 I was introduced to Soundgarden's - Superunknown through a friend, I heard the first song and I knew I would be hooked. I was looking for something that was heavy yet atmospheric. I love Chris Cornell's lyrics, melodies and harmonies. Through them I started to discover all the other bands of that era such as Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Temple Of The Dog. It was a life changing time.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
Recognition and longevity. I want people to hear my music and for them to feel a connection and to relate to it. I write songs with that principal, to feel a moment, a sense of connectivity. I hope to continue with that ethos as thats what I want to be known for, connecting the listener to a emotion. 

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Releasing my debut EP Waypoint by myself. Having control over how I promoted myself everything gave me a better idea of  of how I want to be portrayed. 

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
I don't want to forget anything, its all been an experience so far.

If you could choose just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
I would choose Stay. It was the first song I wrote and it means so much to me. I wrote it during a time when I was depressed with how I was living, working two shit jobs just to earn minimum wage and neglecting my musical career. The song is about keeping true to your aspirations and not letting reality bring you down. Always staying positive and working towards your goals.  

Where can we listen to it?
You can hear my debut EP Waypoint on my soundcloud page http://www.soundcloud.com/shanmusic  


Where can we find out more about your music?

No comments:

Post a Comment