Sunday 8 September 2013

Cold Summer Q&A

Band name:
Cold Summer.

Where are you from?
I'm from a city called Leeds in the North of England, we base ourselves here and in a nearby town called Wakefield, where we're lucky to have our own rehearsal space.

Who is in your band?
I (Justin Eastwood) play drums, Dan Feast sings, Chris Harrison plays guitar and Chris Hepworth plays the bass.

How would you describe yourselves?
Well we're quite a diverse rock band, a melodic post hardcore band I guess with both clean and shouted vocals, mixing influences in and around that end of rock music, right from the 90s and to stuff that is out today, we're passionate about it, we all live and breath for music. We have a bit of a collective aim to bring something new to the table when we write, as we're all into different things but have some similar common ground, we just work from there and try to avoid the trappings of falling into sounding generic. It feels around us and especially the more insightful you are to success in the music industry or whatever it can be quite naive not to see around you conformity to just like whatever appears to be 'selling' at the moment, it may feel sometimes we have to 'work a bit harder' to get ourselves playing shows but I'd rather challenge an audience than please it and we always get to play with a variety of different bands anyway which is a good healthy experience for us.

Who are your main influences musically?
I think really bands that have put out records that stand the test of time as well as that are able to 'have their own' sound I guess. We all are collectively big fans of the Deftones as that's one band that on every record they put out seem to move into new territory and try a lot of new ideas. For me I like a few progressive bands that kind of done that during the course of their careers, bands like Pink Floyd, and You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, Russian Circles, ISIS, I'm also into hardcore, I really respect bands like converge that have released so many great albums and keep doing so, and some of the bands who've come on the radar in recent years, Touche Amore, La Dispute, End Of A Year (self defense family) that are a little bit more on the melodic side but have a untapped depth and aggression in their sound and lyrics. For me a band that got me into playing drums was Poison The Well too like although they've sadly called it a day, the creativity I felt, even in their later albums really inspires me when writing my drum parts especially thinking to mix different tempos and that kind of thing really not relying playing the same one trick pony drumbeat or whatever! When I've mentioned 'post hardcore' before I'm not so sure we sound like a lot of bands today that come under that umbrella, I'm referencing stuff like quicksand, Texas Is The Reason, Sunny Day Real Estate, the more modern stuff we like and take influence from I guess which is more bands like Poison The Well, Thrice, Touche Amore, La Dispute that kind of thing I guess. In terms of simplicity and sometimes stripping it down a bit we're into bands like Rise Against, Alexisonfire, I think for sung vocals and coining a good memorable chorus these are good references to bands who do that kind of thing very well.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
First we intend to create songs and put out releases that hopefully stand the test of time to ourselves and listeners, and transcend genre boundaries and time stamps, i guess as much as we can with the vocals, drums, 1 guitar and bass line up we have. We like to tour as much as we can, play regular shows with bands we like and respect. Basically keep putting out solid releases as we progress as a band, we're proud of the fact we've managed to get our debut album out this year and we want to build on that and hopefully get a new release and follow it up very soon!

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
I think releasing our album and kind of doing a bit of a pre-release show with a band called Funeral For A Friend back in april in Wakefield. Like I grew up around people who really idolised this band, and to be fair they are still really doing well and putting out great records. In my opinion the new album 'Conduit' they have recently put out is actually my fav one, so it was a great experience hearing the new songs live and they were nice people too and just big music fans like us, the singer was quick to latch on I have a collection of converge shirts.. despite him not really thinking we'd perhaps be into that kind of thing haha.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Ah it's just got to be that block you sometimes get when writing, we sometimes get it jamming out, it's like ok we get some really nice sections put together but we don't have a finished song and when that happens it's quite frustrating. We all work full time and a lot of the time we're practising tired after shifts so luckily I think we've got good communication in the band so we never end up falling out but it does frustrate as we like to be productive and be able to move onto new stuff as soon as we get a song we're happy with. I think gig wise just once I've flown off the handle just had gear falling apart for us all so we literally had to stop during every song due to something breaking, last two songs I had my gear start to break down so I decided to throw it in frustration. We've also had a bit of moment to forget playing our hometown as well earlier this year, just had some sound guy taking it his frustration on us which nearly got blown way out of proportion (which I'd have expect if I'd been taking the frustration out on his PA system.) but at least the guy made an effort to apologise afterwards, but not really how you expect to be spoke to in your mid 20s and in your hometown but I guess sometimes people just loose their cool.

If you were asked to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
For me personally well we've attempted to draw a line with the debut album coming out, we're starting to write our new material with a fresh approach, not to say it will be really far removed from the stuff on the debut who knows, but we just feel a bit of a clean slate to be creative and write another set of songs that work cohesively together, hopefully in the same way the ones that made our debut album did. For me well in terms of showing a well rounded, few sides to our sound, 'Waiting' seems to cut it really well with a memorable, slightly hypnotic groove with the drums and bass locked in pretty well.. sounds like I'm reviewing it haha! but yeah I think people should check that song out if they've not heard us before!

Where can we listen to it?



Where can we find out more about your music?
We update our facebook regularly so you can see whats going on at the moment with us, http://www.facebook.com/coldsummeruk
We chat or try to chat on twitter - http://twitter.com/coldsummeruk
We post everything musical and we mean everthing on our bandcamp http://coldsummer.bandcamp.com
We promise not too take too many 'selfies' on our tumblr - http://coldsummermusic.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment