Thursday 3 October 2013

April Story Q&A

Your name: 
April Story.

Where are you from? 
I'm from Canada. I grew up in a small city called Kingston. But I've been based out of Toronto for the last two years, which is the biggest city in Canada. 

How would you describe yourself?
I would describe my sound as pop/soul, with a relaxing atmosphere to it. My voice stands out sometimes just because it has a higher pitch. 

Who are your main influences musically?
I grew up wanting to be just like Mariah Carey and practised with her music all the time, which is odd because I don't really think we have similar sounds. I've always been really into Motown as well. Now I listen to a bit of everything but I love British singers because they always seem to have something very unique about them. 

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I feel like I have seen too much bad in the world, so really my aim is to add as much good and create as much beauty as I possibly can. 
I would like to create music that helps people escape and relax. I'm working on a new album now that will be more on the dreamy/ambient side but still have a pop/soul sound, so hopefully with this album I can achieve the right sound that people can escape to. 
I also really want to use my music as a platform to do some good. I am going to pick a charity with each album and donate a portion of all sales to that charity. I would also really love to be able to organize events such as large fundraiser concerts, and get other musicians involved in the process as well. 

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Through sheer fluke, I've been fortunate enough to have been able to work with some of the people that I have always really looked up to in music. Those experiences have been amazing, but the moment I always think about is when a 10 year old girl from youtube told me that my music made her cry. Musicians work so hard to try to build their craft so to be able to reach anyone in that way is a huge deal for me. I have her message saved to my computer so I can read it when I have a bad day. 

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Probably just the times I have realized how ruthless and competitive the music industry can be, and how many egos there are. I think any business is like that though, so you just have to focus on the things you do like about the industry. 

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
I guess it would be "I Don't Break" because I love the lyrics, and the iTunes sales from that song are going to breast cancer.

Where can we listen to it?


Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?
Just that if anyone wants to say hello on Facebook, Twitter etc I'm always around! I read all my messages and I try to answer as many as I can so feel free to drop me a line anytime :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment