Tuesday 28 January 2014

Shoot The Moon Q&A

Your name: 
Shawn Woodhouse. People call me Woody.

Where are you from? 
Orillia Ontario, Canada.

Name of band: 
Shoot the Moon.

Who is in the band? 
Shawn Woodhouse (lead vocals, guitars), Lance Troian (bass, vocals), Phil Smith (drums, sound effects), Don Dumas (guitar, vocals).

How would you describe yourselves?   
We are primarily a rock band but with touches of other types of music genres such as… punk, blues, reggae and country, depending on what the song calls for.

Who are your main influences musically?   
When I was a young kid it was the three Bs - Beatles, Beach Boys and Bay City Rollers. I know, but hey, there was a guy in the Bay City Rollers named Woody. How could a kid with the same nickname not think that was cool?Once high school hit, the musical discoveries became enormous. Queen, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Def Lepard, and all time faves, The Police and Van Halen.
In 2014, I still listen to a lot of Police and other bands like Weezer, Foo Fighters, Joe Walsh, Bob Mould, Pearl Jam and Frank Sinatra to name a few.

What do you hope to achieve in music?     
I'm 45 years old, so the dream of being the next Eddie Van Halen is pretty much gone. I'm more or less just creating music because I have to. There is something inside me that begs to be creative. So writing music is my way to release that internal urge.


What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?    
The highlight of my own musical career was opening gigs for Canadian music icons such as April Wine, Finger Eleven, Kim Mitchell, Colin James, Honeymoon Suite and The Razorbacks. Opening for Steppenwolf was pretty cool too.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?     
My first live performance. It was in front of my entire high school as part of a Christmas assembly. The band that I was playing with didn't even have a bass player but we had two very loud guitar players. We played one of my first original songs that I wrote, Fast Lane. Holy shit, what a mistake. The other high school rock band that played did a Beatles song, a Christmas song and then threw candy canes out into the crowded gym - and all the girls went nuts. Lesson learned.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
I think it would be Friends. It has such a good groove, especially when the band plays the song live. Phil, Don and Lance connect really nice and I like the way that song changes its mood. Part of Life is another song. I've been kicking that song around for a while with other bands, but I really like how it came together with Shoot The Moon. Lance came up with the bridge. That really put the song over the edge.

Where can we listen to it?  
Our website is  shootthemoonband.com/index.cfm  
Hit the link for Reverbnation to listen to our tunes.



Where can we find out more about your music?   
Twitter ­ @shoothemoonband

No comments:

Post a Comment