Wednesday 23 July 2014

Subject To Thoughts Q&A

Your name:
Mark Mendieta.

Where are you from?
Brownsville, Texas.

Name of band:
Subject to Thoughts.

Who else is in your band?
Brandon Strader who is from Weirton, West Virginia.

How would you describe yourselves?
Mark: Personally, I would describe myself as a musician, but I would have to say that I am also a thinker, creator, and perfectionist. As for Subject to Thoughts, we are a progressive rock/metal band with a twist.
Brandon: I work a security day job. By night, I make a lot of video game remixes and put them on Youtube. In the deepest night, I record vocals for Subject to Thoughts. I play a lot of different instruments, and offer mixing and mastering services to bands as well as the occasional studio work.

Who are your main influences musically?
Mark: Dream Theater, My Dying Bride, Katatonia, Anekdoten & Enchant.
Brandon: Right now, I would have to say Blackfield and Wintersun. Both bands offer endless inspiration in very different styles, and offer a goal to strive towards.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
Mark: Being able to make a name for ourselves would be great, but if that never happens, I would just be fine continuing to make the music that I love and enjoy.
Brandon: I hope to create music that I enjoy far down the line. I don't know where I will be, but I'll be happy with the arsenal of music I'm cranking out.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Mark: Well, I would have to say being featured on internet radio stations like ProgRock & Metal (PRM) & Dr. John’s Unsigned Rock Surgery just to name a few. This definitely gives us an opportunity to showcase our music to the world. Also, having the pleasure to be reviewed and recently published on the UK fanzine: Amplified Rock #135 and another UK magazine Gonzo Weekly #84 is definitely a great honor and a way for people to read about us.
Brandon: Apart from singing vocals for Subject to Thoughts, getting paid to mix and master an album for Careless Juja, as well as recording vocals for The Legendary Zoltan's album, were real highlights. It was the first time I started to realize that I could probably work professionally for clients and I hope to do that a lot more in the future. The first album with Subject to Thoughts, although a little old now, was a ton of fun to work on and the next albums will also be fun. I like that the band has retained Mark's unique style and sound.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Mark: My singing in the first two albums. That’s why Brandon is now the singer...
Brandon: Being so old and being so bad at guitar at my age!

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
Mark: That’s a hard question to answer, but I would have to pick Since the Inception from our latest album The Culmination. For me, the song title says it all. My destiny has always been to be a musician, and I am achieving that dream. Musically, this describes Subject to Thoughts’ sound at its best. Thought­-provoking, yet progressive.
Brandon: I like the StT single, "Love Forever", a lot. It was the only occasion where I got to write the lyrics and name the song.

Where can we listen to it? 



Where can we find out more about your music?

Places to purchase our albums
"The Culmination"
and who knows where else

"From Sunrise to Sunset"

“To Embrace the Light”

“From Emptiness to Beyond”

Anything else you’d like to say that I forgot to ask?
I’d would like to thank you for this wonderful opportunity. I hope your readers find our answers intriguing that they will want to check out Subject to Thoughts.
Right now, we are currently working on our upcoming album. Hopefully, to be released by this year. Musically, this is going to be a new chapter for StT. The music is darker, heavier, but most importantly, it is very progressive. Just the way I like it, challenging...

No comments:

Post a Comment