Friday 14 November 2014

Mary Caroline Q&A

Your name:
Mary Caroline.

Where are you from?
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada.

How would you describe yourself?
My music is rooted in acoustic folk music that is then worked through with a full band to give it more of a pop/folk vibe. I love writing thoughtful, vocal driven pieces, but I also try to balance it out with fun, more up-beat songs. 
I spend a lot of time at a remote cabin in the Northwest Territories. It is a small trapper’s cabin that is completely off-grid. My neighbour is a 75-year-old widow, who has a wealth of knowledge about living sustainably. I also have frequent exposure to First Nations people who live in balance with the land. It is peaceful and the landscape is breath-taking, and I take an incredible amount of inspiration from my time at my cabin. 

Who are your main influences musically?
I love edgy female front-people like Florence Welch or MIA, and I also love Canadian acoustic folk music, and I think my music comes out somewhere in the middle.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I'm very excited to be releasing my debut studio album. This has been a big dream of mine for a very long time. I'm not sure where it will lead, but I would love to get some radio play across Canada, and hopefully internationally as well. I love touring, so radio success would defiantly allow me to tour further then I have in the past.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why? 
Two years ago I showcased at the Western Canada Music Awards. It was the first time I had travelled with a band outside of my home territory and it was really cool when people I'd never met where tweeting about my band. A lot has happened since then, but that was a big moment for me.

And what’s the moment you want to forget? 
I don't really have any regrets. I always try to take the good with bad and learn from hardships, so I don't really dwell on the past, or try to forget it, so this is a tough question for me to answer.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
Such a Liar is a kind of edgy song lyrically, but with beautiful cello highlights. I love the contrast. I like to incorporate contrast into my songs and have the vocals in the foreground, so I think this song is a good representation of a lot of my other music.

Where can we listen to it?



Where can we find out more about your music?
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/artist/mary-caroline/id383283514

No comments:

Post a Comment