Friday 17 April 2015

Mark of 1000 Evils Q&A

Your name:
Dan (Donald).

Where are you from?
Stockport, South Manchester.

Name of band:
Mark of 1000 Evils.

Who else is in your band?
We've got Andy on bass and Ben on drums.

How would you describe yourselves and your music?
It's rock music. We don't really has aspirations to be like any particular band or sub-genre. It's whatever comes out. We're all into rocky stuff so most of the time it'll go through that filter.
We're a three-piece to keep the sound tight, keep things simple but we don't always have to be that way. 

Who are your main influences musically?
For myself, I grew up in my Dad's record shop so when I was little I was into more of the stuff going on at the time than my friends were like The Police, The Cure, The Smiths... seemingly bands that started with 'The'. When was in my mid-teens a work friend of my Mum's got me into the stuff coming out of Seattle in the early 90s just in time to see it all blow up so I was into a lot of bands from that explosion, not just the big bands like Nirvana and Soundgarden: Mudhoney, Tad, Screaming Trees as well as others from around that time like Sonic Youth.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
Personally, I just want to be able to make music - to vent whatever wants to come out. I only really think one step ahead with what the band should do but playing some kind of festival, improving the quality of what we put out each time is about all I want. Having an audience would be an achievement.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
I think were at that point now. For me, having confidence over doing vocals was a big one. I think as a band we're more confident so going in to record was a great experience and we're up for trying videos...maybe work on an album. That makes a big difference.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Not sure there's been one yet. The time we didn't have a drummer for a while is something I want to remember - that feeling that maybe the band won't happen so make the most of it when things are right is important.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
At the moment, the last of the three singles we're putting out, 'Hopes & Codes' does that. I think it's big, it's loud and quiet, it's intimate and epic. I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

Where can we listen to it?
Hopes & Codes won't be out for a couple of months but Immune, our current single is all over digital stores. Listen at SoundCloud (https://soundcloud.com/markof1000evils/immune) or check out the DIY music video we made for it on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO9t8JCO8o8).


Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say about your music that I forgot to ask?
Just that we're getting started. We've got 100s of demos to play with which cover a range of sounds. Who knows what'll come next? We're hoping to work on an album later in the year so give us a follow and see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment