Tuesday 19 May 2015

Derek Bishop Q&A

Your name: 
Derek Bishop.

Where are you from?
New York City has been my home for over 20 years.

How would you describe yourselves and your music?
I'm a keyboard-loving fella, who sings and writes über-catchy melodies paired with a darker lyrical side. Musically, it's essentially "Technicolor Pop". It's bright, very colorful, and chock full of ear candy. It has its roots in 80's synthpop, but it has sprinklings of Broadway, 70's prog rock, and even a little bit of The Muppet Show mixed in.  

Who are your main influences musically?
My main musical influences are the individual members of Fleetwood Mac. I've taken so much from each of their individual styles, that it feels like a very broad spectrum musically. I think you can hear their footprints in all my songs one way or another. I'm also influenced by a mixed bag of other elements. I'm a massive fan of the movie and music from Xanadu, so there's always going to be a little bit of that referenced on my albums. I also spent a good portion of my youth in marching bands, so I do tend to love the pairing pop tunes with the surprise symphonic instrument, like a saxophone, French horn, tympani, or marimba.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I simply want to make unique, interesting and good product. In this day and age of the music business, you can't be in it with the goal to make money. My goals are to simply get better and grow as an artist. I'm doing this because I love it. I want to make music that inspires me, music that I would find interesting and music that - when I listen - makes me all warm and fuzzy. If a dozen, or hundred, or several thousands of people like that music too, then that is a big added bonus. 

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
The highlight thus far has been releasing my sophomore album, Bicycling in Quicksand, printed on vinyl. (It's officially released June 9th!) Holding that massive, tangible representation of all that hard work is so rewarding. As a vinyl record, not only does it feel real and vital, it also feels quite nostalgic: like a dream from my teenage years come to life. 

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
The moments I want to forget are the many times when my brain stopped working and I forgot the lyrics while performing live. It happens far too often. Luckily that same crazy brain that lets song lyrics slip away, also lets me forget the sheer number of times I've actually forgotten the words

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
Automatic. It's a nice, tight, little catchy number that has all the bells and whistles thrown in the mix. People expect bizarre sounds form me, but this song really hits it home. It's a strong pop song, with layers and layers of background vocals, but halfway through the wackiness kicks in. By the end, all semblance of structure flies out the window. Lyrically it's both a love song and an study on the focus and drive artist needs to have. I think balancing the story with the "everything-and-the-kitchen-sink" instrumentation shows off a sense of humor too.





Anything else you’d like to say about your music that I forgot to ask?
I feel this music has something for everyone, and I want all ears available and willing to take it in. I'm so proud of this work and I just want to share it with everyone. Thank you for this opportunity to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment