Tuesday 13 October 2015

Beard Springsteen Q&A

Your name: 
JE Sheehy.

Where are you from? 
I've never been to find a good answer to that question, but Eastern Canada's been home to me.

Name of band: 
Beard Springsteen.

Who else is in your band? 
Just me at the moment, but I'll be working with a drummer in the near future for recordings and live shows.

How would you describe yourself and your music? 
Downer punk is pretty much the most accurate way to describe Beard Springsteen. It's all about taking bad life experiences and putting them in music with a bunch of hooks.

Who are your main influences musically? 
I've been writing the Beard Springsteen material over the span of five years, so my influences have evolved a lot during that time. For this project, I'd say Hüsker Dü, PS I Love You, Eric's Trip, The Sainte Catherines and Dinosaur Jr. were the biggest ones. Other than that, I listen to a wide variety of music, from obscure French pop to weird jazz records from the 1970s. 

What do you hope to achieve in music? 
Playing Sackville New Brunswick, which is basically the greatest place on Earth for live music.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why? 
I've only started working seriously on Beard Springsteen recently, but the reaction after I released Broken English has been great. I've sold music in Japan, got fan mail from France, made fans in Italy and got positive reviews from all over the place. In my 14 years of playing music, this has been one of the highlights.

And what’s the moment you want to forget? 
Any bad out of town show where no one shows up (including the soundman).

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why? 
I really like Never Gonna Be The Same. It captures the essence of the downer side of Beard Springsteen and has a Guided by Voices feel to it as well.

Where can we listen to it? 


Where can we find out more about your music?
Bandcamp (Broken English is available as a pay-what-you-want download): https://beardspringsteen.bandcamp.com/album/broken-english

Anything else you’d like to say about your music that I forgot to ask?
People really like the metaphors of the lyrics on the EP. The only thing is most of the lyrics of Broken English are not metaphors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment