Friday 6 November 2015

New Dimension Q&A

Your name:
Daniel Salvador.

Where are you from?
I'm from Ecuador, but I've been living in Canada for quite a few years now, it's like I've become Canadian too.

Name of band:
New Dimension.

Who else is in your band?
It's just me. New Dimension is currently a solo act.

How would you describe yourselves and your music?
That's a difficult question. I feel like everything I've done, musically, has been just a beginning, an intro.
I started making electronic music, then remixing a few songs, and I just released a 'soundtrack-y' kind of EP less than a month ago. My music feels everywhere right now, but I know everything's for a purpose. Everything I've done has taught me something in some way, and I think it's just been - and still is - a learning process. Sometimes trying to get a song the way I imagine it in my mind basically 'forces' me to learn about sound design with synthesizers. Sometimes I learn about a new instrument, how to EQ it properly, and sometimes I even learn about myself, you know.
I personally feel that each song I release feels better than the previous one; I know that, for example, the EP I just released ("The Last One" EP) taught me a lot about mixing and EQing. From that I know that my next set of songs I'll release will sound better, because I'm more experienced than I was two years ago.
In terms of describing my sound: I can't describe my music with a genre, mainly because I know I'll end up making different songs from different genres. I've got a song that sounds like Deadmau5 (listen to "Yesterday"), then another one sounds like Hans Zimmer ("Dead"), and in a few years from now I may sound like Linkin Park, who knows? I think the reason for this is that I'm still finding my sound; there are certain elements and things that do make my music sound like my music, regardless of which song you listen to, however, at this stage I'm still defining what is and what sounds like New Dimension - and to me this is an exciting place/moment to be in.

Who are your main influences musically?
Well, my two favorite bands are Depeche Mode and Muse, but I've got various influences from many different genres as well. I listen to rock, electronic, classical, metal, all sorts of different things - I'm incredibly picky though.
I feel that only my two favorite bands have truly pushed me forward and really motivate me to keep going forward though. I think if it wasn't for Depeche Mode I wouldn't be making music, and I think Muse changed the perspective/way of how I listen to music.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I, honestly, hope to get far. How far? As far as I can get, as far as my music gets me.
I feel like these years I've been - and I am - just building the backbone and the base of what's yet to come. Like I said before, everything's been a learning process, and I feel like in a few years this will really pay off.
I know that my favorite bands will not keep making music forever and my main hope or goal would be to fill in at least part of that space. Both bands are extremely influential, so my goal would be to be able to influence some people as well (at least a few! haha).

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
I'd say that there hasn't been a single highlight so far. I could say that the highlights are two remixes I've done ("Lost in the Echo" by Linkin Park and "Pale Shelter" by Tears for Fears), but it really depends on how I'm feeling. I think this goes for any music I listen to, it just depends on how one feels.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Well, there are a couple of things I've done I wish I hadn't done, but I always come back to the same point, which is that everything teaches you something. When I've done things I'm proud of and things I'm not so proud of, and when I've also made mistakes, I've learned something. If it wasn't for these 'moments I'd like to forget' I wouldn't be who I am today and I wouldn't know what I know.
But again, at this point, at this stage, the mistakes I make don't really 'weigh' what mistakes later on might. So I think it'd be wise to make as many mistakes as I can now haha

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
As of right now (October 2015) "Illusion" is still the track that can be said to represent my music. It was basically the first song I released - and that was about three years ago - but it's still the track that sounds most like 'New Dimension'.
I know that in the following year, I'll be working on one or two songs that will be seek to be very representative of my sound and that will hopefully make it easier for me to explain what New Dimension sounds like.

Where can we listen to it? 
You can listen to "Illusion" here: https://soundcloud.com/newdimensionofficial/illusion



Where can we find out more about your music? 
You can find New Dimension on:

Anything else you’d like to say about your music that I forgot to ask?
I'd like to say that "The Last One" EP will hopefully be the end of one New Dimension era, and that I'll be working hard to make sure that the next 'era' will be better than anything I've done before. I am definitely excited to go back and start working on demos and music again - in fact I may start doing that soon, but I don't want to say much about things I haven't done yet!
It was also great answering all these questions, so I'd definitely like to thank you Greg, for this interview, and for your time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment