Sunday 13 November 2016

Nick Ryan Q&A

Your name: 
Nick Ryan

Where are you from? 
Virginia, USA.

How would you describe yourselves and your music? 
I am an alternative pop/rock singer-songwriter. I like to blend different genres and have also dabbled in folk, country, Celtic, and R&B with my songs.

Who are your main influences musically? 
Sheryl Crow, The Corrs, and Alanis Morissette would probably be my top three. Well, add Fleetwood Mac and Lissie to that list. Probably also Garbage and Liz Phair. I love a great song, great musicians, and an honest female vocalist. I also grew up listening to Amy Grant, Michael Bolton, Mariah Carey, and James Taylor.  For the album, I also tapped into Michael Jackson, Prince, Lenny Kravitz, Halestorm, Seal, Paramore, Matchbox Twenty, and Red Hot Chili Peppers. I'm all over the place! I've opened up my ears as I have gotten older, which isn't usually the case for most people.

What do you hope to achieve in music? 
I hope that I can be an artist that can live off of being an artist. It's harder now with all of the competition, but it's also made it easier for people to get their careers started. Anyone can do it now. I want to tour and be able to afford to create new music regularly and work with honest musicians.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why? 
Probably my performances this past weekend (Ed's note - this was written in June)! It was great hearing people resonate with my original music. Even better than being played on SiriusXM!

And what’s the moment you want to forget? 
The recording process was a nightmare. I was working with people that were trying to change my artistic vision. And I was paying for it. I was being used. Consequently, we aren't speaking.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why? 
Probably You Are Not My Friend. I think it encapsulates all of my influences in on song. It was also one of the first songs I wrote for the record. King of Excuses is a close second.  The chorus is my favorite lyric.

Where can we listen to it? 


Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say about your music that I forgot to ask?
I write songs from personal experiences. I don't write hits, but I think I have songs that can become hits. I believe in being true to yourself and the success with follow after.


1 comment: